Empowering Through Education

Empowering Through Education

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Remembering 9/11

from See the City
A college freshman, I had slept in that morning. Still groggy, dressed in my red plaid pajamas I poured myself a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch and sat down to eat. My dorm roommate had the little tv on in the corner of the kitchen and said something about the news she was watching. Surprised by the urgency in her voice, I tried to focus and grasp an understanding of what it meant for an airplane to have crashed into a New York City building. Classes were canceled, and every computer screen at my campus job  displayed the images of a tragic day unfolding.

It's common now to share the stories of 'where were you when…' -  we all  remember. Where we were, what we were doing, what we felt. But between the terrible moments, I think we probably all remember too the stories of the heroes, the helpers. Thirteen years later, or course we still remember (watch below).




 I recently attended my Grandmother's funeral and a family member shared her favorite advice from her own loss years ago. 'When my mom passed away, someone told me that when I just missed her too much I ought to go out and help someone. And you know, that has never failed me.' 

As you remember this year, will you serve to honor a lost loved one? To heal a still grieving heart?  Or  to continue in the legacy of the heroes of that day?  How will you remember?


No comments:

Post a Comment